If you are searching for ‘Product branding’ for the first time then there are chances that your top most doubt might be, how it is different then corporate branding?
Product branding vs Corporate Branding
Let’s look at the hierarchy of branding
General overall branding > corporate branding > product branding.
So it is subset of corporate branding and exists to give a particular product or product line its own identity.
It adds value to the overall branding of a company if done well. So corporate branding and product branding actually go hand in hand.
In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the fundamentals of product branding and discuss valuable insights on how to do it properly. This article is part of a series on understanding of effective branding types and strategies for businesses.
Product Branding Definition.
In today’s competitive market, product branding has become a crucial strategy for businesses to stand out and connect with their target audience.
Product branding means creating a unique identity and perception for a specific product or group of products. It’s more than just a logo, it includes the overall experience and emotions associated with the brand.
Why is product branding important?
It helps businesses differentiate themselves from competitors and build a strong connection with their customers. A well-executed product branding strategy can lead to increased sales, customer loyalty, and a positive brand image that lasts.
Process of branding a product
For a successful product branding journey, it’s important to understand the process. Here are the key steps:
1. Researching who will buy and what they want: Before working on making your product known, it’s really important to do a lot of research on the people who will want to buy it. You need to understand what they need, what they like, and what the market is like overall.
2. Creating brand around what is special about your product: This means figuring out how your product will look and sound. You have to come up with a name that people will remember, make a logo that stands out, choose colors and fonts that work well, and set some rules for how your brand should be used.
3. Creating a message for your product brand: This is about coming up with a special reason why your product is good and figuring out what kind of personality it should have. The personality should be something that the people who want to buy your product can relate to and look up to. The message may or may not be the same as the company’s overall message, but it should still follow the same values and rules.
Elements of Product Branding
To make your product brand interesting and easy to remember, there are a few things you need to think about. Let’s look at them:
1. Choosing a good name and logo: Your brand’s name should be unique, easy to remember, and related to what you’re selling. And your logo should look nice and make people feel a certain way about your brand.
2. Using colors and pictures that match your brand: The colors you use are important because they affect how people see your brand. Pick colors that go well with your brand’s personality and that your customers will like. And use the same style of writing, pictures, and other visuals to make people recognize your brand.
3. Deciding how to talk to your customers: It’s important to have a consistent way of talking to your customers, whether it’s in writing or speaking. Think about how your brand should sound and the type of words to use. This will help get your message across clearly.
4. Making your packaging and product look good: The way your product is packaged and designed is really important. It should match your brand’s style, show what’s great about your product, and stand out from other products on the shelves.
5. Presenting your product using photography, motion graphics or VFX: Invest in professional product photography and videography to present the colors, dimensions and show its application in real life. This can greatly help your online customers to finalize buying decision.
Denny Kurien showing how just your logo is not your brand
Creating a Strong Brand
Having a strong brand is really important because it helps people remember and trust your business. Here are some important things to think about when building a strong brand:
1. Being consistent everywhere: Make sure your brand looks and feels the same wherever people see it, like on your website, social media, and packaging. This makes people recognize your brand and trust it more.
2. Standing out from others: Figure out what makes your brand special and different from other similar businesses. Show people why they should choose your brand and make sure they understand what makes it unique.
3. Telling a good story: Create a story that makes people feel connected to your brand. Share your brand’s history, values, and goals to make people care more and become loyal customers.
Brand Awareness: Making People Know About Your Brand
Once you know what your brand is all about, it’s important to make sure people know about it and that it reaches the right people. Here are some things you can do:
1. Using different ways to tell people: Come up with a plan to promote your brand and make it visible to more people. You can use things like ads in newspapers, online ads, TV commercials, and social media to reach the people you want to reach.
2. Being online and using the internet: Nowadays, being online is really important. Make a website that’s easy to use and shows up when people search for things online. Use techniques like posting helpful content, using social media, and making sure your website shows up on search engines so that more people can find your brand.
3. Working with popular people and other businesses: Sometimes, working with popular people or other businesses can help get the word out about your brand. Find people or businesses that have similar values and appeal to the people you want to reach. By working together, you can reach even more people and make a bigger impact.
Taking Care of Your Brand
To keep your brand successful, you need to take care of it and make changes when needed. Here are some things to do:
1. Checking what people say about your brand: Keep an eye on what people are saying about your brand online and listen to their feedback. If there’s anything negative, address it quickly and make sure people have a good opinion of your brand.
2. Checking if your brand is still effective: Every now and then, check if your brand is still working well. Look at your brand’s elements like its name, logo, and message, and see if they need any updates. Make sure your brand still fits with what people like and want.
3. Coming up with new ideas and staying up-to-date: Always try to come up with new ideas for your products and how people experience your brand. Look at what’s happening in your industry, what people want, and new technologies. This will help you find ways to grow and be different from your competitors.
Checking How Well Your Brand is Doing
It’s important to see how well your branding is working so that you can make good decisions. Here are some things to look at:
1. Important things to measure: Figure out the important things to measure that match what you want your brand to achieve. This could be things like how much money you’re making, how many new customers you’re getting, how many people know about your brand, how engaged your customers are, and how people feel about your brand.
2. Listening to your customers: Ask your customers what they think about your brand through surveys, reviews, and social media. Pay attention to how satisfied they are and fix any problems quickly so that they have a good experience with your brand.
3. Seeing how well people know your brand: Find out how well people recognize and remember your brand. Look at things like how many people know about your brand, how well they remember it, and what they think of when they hear your brand’s name. Also, compare how much people talk about your brand compared to your competition.
Examples of Product Branding done well.
Source: Print advertisement design inspiration to boost company’s growth, from Nike.
Wrapping it Up
Making your product brand stand out is really important for businesses. It helps people remember your brand, become loyal customers, and buy more. By understanding how to build a brand, paying attention to important things, and using strategies to make people know your brand, businesses can create a strong and successful brand.
Don’t forget to always check how well your brand is doing and change your strategies if needed to keep up with the competition.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. How long does it take to build a strong brand for a product?
The time it takes to build a strong brand can vary. It depends on things like how complicated the product is, who the target customers are, the resources available, and the marketing efforts put in. Building a brand takes time and consistent work. It’s important to focus on building a good reputation and making people think positively about the brand over time.
According to David Brond of abccreative.com it takes about 5 years to establish as a brand in particular category. Read here: How long does it take to establish a brand that works?
2. Can branding alone guarantee the success of a product?
Branding is really important for a product’s success, but it’s not the only thing that matters. Other things like having a good product, the right price, effective marketing, and good customer service also play a big role in success. A strong brand can make these things even better and make the product stand out from others in the market.
3. How often should I update my brand’s visual elements?
There isn’t a specific time to update your brand’s look. But it’s a good idea to check it regularly. If it doesn’t connect with the people you want to reach or if it doesn’t match current design trends, then it might be time for an update. Changing your brand’s look should be a thoughtful decision, not something you do all the time.
4. What is brand equity, and why is it important?
Brand equity is the value and how people see a brand. It includes things like how well people know the brand, how loyal they are to it, and what they think about it. Brand equity is important because it can make people like a brand more and want to buy it. When a brand has strong equity, it means people trust it, it sells more, and it’s better than other brands.
5. How can I differentiate my brand from competitors?
To make your brand stand out from the competition, think about what makes it special and show that in your messages. Understand what your target customers want and need, and show that your brand can help them. Talk about what makes your brand different, like the features of your product, the good quality, how well you treat customers, or the values your brand believes in. Keep an eye on the market to see what’s popular and find ways to be different.